- Hits: 8021
On August 20, 1877 the sod was turned for a church on Ontario Street. Christ Church needed more space and thus a number of members started the new church of St. Thomas’. Mr. Beebe, an architect, from Buffalo and his Richardson Romanesque design was chosen. In October, 1879 the first worship service was held in St. Thomas’ Church.
In 1905 the window depicting St. Thomas was dedicated as a memorial to Augustus Halliday. Mr. Halliday was a freed slave who farmed a small property on Wellington St. and attended church every Sunday.
About 1920 St. Thomas’ established a mission church on Geneva St.—Grace Church.
The Parish Hall was built in 1925 and the present rectory was completed in 1929.
St. Thomas’ Day Care Centre opened on September 8, 1981.
During the 1980's the turrets were restored, a columbarium was built and there was a day care addition to the parish hall.
In 1990 extensive renovations were made to the church with the creation of the forecourt and the installation of the glass doors. The furnishings in the interior of the church were made entirely flexible thus allowing a greater variety in worship. At the same time an elevator was installed making all floors of the church building accessible. The lighting was improved as was the sound system for the hearing impaired.
For more information about the re-design and the architect, please visit http://www.geraldrobinson.ca and go to case study 3
During the summer and fall of 1998 the slate roof and decorative copper work was replaced.